My Game Brainstorm for this year

Now, this is where the fun begins, for myself of course. This is the part of game design that I love to do, second to actually making the game. Here, this is where the creative mind has free reign to come up with any ideas for a game. It is basically the wild west, except with bullets we're firing off ideas at one another, trying to see whose the better individual until an idea lands home. 

Within this blog, we will be exploring and formulating ideas for my game for this year's semester. I have brainstormed possible game ideas for my project, so without further ado, we will dive into my ideas that I have thought, why I'm interested, what I'd like to learn. 

For this, I have divided up my ideas into different headers to make it easier to navigate and read. 

Idea #1 - Hack-n-slash

My first idea for my game is for a hack n slash game. This term refers to a game that emphasises on combat, weaponry and is in third-person view. Examples of games that are hack n slash are Devil May Cry, Fate/Grand Order Arcade, Dark Souls and God of War.

I've always been interested in making a hack n slash game for my project because I've enjoyed playing games of this genre. I've played many games of this genre and each have their own uniqueness and style to them. It is by their differing styles that has garnered my interest. Examples; Dark Souls has always stuck to me because of its lore, whilst for Devil May Cry it was the over-the-top, flashy and stylish gameplay. 

For my ideas for a hack'n'slash game, I had managed to thought up of four possible ideas to chose from. 

The first idea is a game in a dark fantasy setting that has horror influences based on cthulu mythology. The second idea is a survival gladiator game that has waves of enemies in it for you to fight, like a gladiatorial game from ancient roman times. The third idea is a 3rd person shooter within a prison and the goal was to escape from it. The final idea is a hack'n'slash game that is based on the epic of Gilgamesh; a character from Babylonian mythology. This would take you on his adventure detailed in the lore.

After reviewing these four concepts for my hack'n'slash game, I was able to settle on my fourth idea; the epic tale of Gilgamesh as my hack'n'slash game idea. 

Why I have chosen this idea is because it is something that isn't out there yet. There are games that take inspiration from mythology like God of War and Dante's Inferno, yet there isn't one based off from Babylon mythology yet. Also, I have a soft spot and liking to mythology and Babylonian mythology is one of my favourites of mythologies. 

I have no experience with making a game like this, as it is my first time making a game like this. However, I do have experience from Dunboyne with coding character movements, creating the level and interactions. Although, this was with 2D games not with a 3D game. I have some limited knowledge coding 3D games, but it's honestly lacklustre.

Hence, I would like to learn how to not only code in 3D but also learn how to make my characters fight, interact and creating a proper level for the game.

Hack n slash Unity Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE5C2870574BF4B06

Idea #2 - Racing game


Need for Speed

My second idea for my game is a racing game. These are games that are in either first or third-person view where the player partakes in driving a vehicle from start to finish. Examples of these types of games are Mario Kart and Live for Speed.

The reason as to why I chose Racing game as my second idea is because it's something that I've never done before. I've never played many racing games, with the only games of this genre I've played are Mario Kart and Need for Speed. However, the idea of making one intrigues me. I'm curious as to see how to make one, let alone how to make one that works best for the audience and why they enjoy these types of games. 

For this genre, I managed to come up with two ideas. The first one was a traditional racing game where you have a single car racing against other cars for first place. The other idea was a racing game that takes place in ww2 where you the player have to race against your pursuers in order to deliver a message.

From reviewing these two ideas I was able to settle on my main second idea for my racing game. My reasons for choosing this was already highlighted in the previous passage. Ww2 is also a familiar subject for me, hence I'd be able to make something that'd work.

As stated prior, I have little knowledge of making a proper game, or a game from this genre. This would be my first time in making a racing game. However, I would be willing to learn how to make a successful racing game, should this idea be the one for me. If this game idea would be approved, then I would learn how to make the car change speeds, making difficult roads and obstacles and how to just make the car go fast.  

Racing game tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ5GJPlAGS4

Idea #3 - Climbing Game

My third idea for a game would be a climbing type of game. Fundamentally, these are games where you climb a set of obstacles in order to reach your destination. Such games of this class include The Climb 2 and Everest

Why I want to make a game such as this is similar in reason to my racing game proposal - that it intrigues me. Like with racing games, I haven't played much climbing games in my childhood even up till now. Hence, I will be working with limited experience on what makes such a group of games work and what doesn't. However, that isn't gonna stop me from trying to make one. 

Another factor for wanting to make one is that I've wanted to make a game that trolls the player, or even mocks the player in a way that makes them try harder to achieve the objective. I believe that this would be the type of game to do just that. It sounds cruel but I assure you that it isn't, I just want it to be fun and casual game for the player.

For this third idea, I as able to come up with a single idea for it. It would be a twist on a normal mountain climbing game, like the ones you'd find on a free game website. However instead of making you restart from the beginning, you don't and it just mocks you with words, quotes and all sorts of different things, whilst also encouraging you to try harder.

There isn't much that I'd like to learn for this should this idea be approved. However, the two things id' like to learn would be gravity and how to implement voices into the game.

How to make a climbing game like Assassin's Creed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3dZ1y3sbYM

Idea #4 - Horror Game

My final game idea for my fourth game ideas would be a Horror type game as my overall game project. Horror games are diverse in terms of what they offer. Five Nights at Freddies offers us a nerve-raking take on the duties of a night guard as you survive the night, whilst Until Dawn is driven by it's story and reveals bits of its horror element overtime, a gradually growing crescendo is best described.

The reason as to why I'm interested in making a game from this genre is because despite being afraid of anything horror (Besides cthulu horror and stuff related to that) I enjoy such things as long as there is a story to it. The story of Five Nights at Freddies has me drawn to the game's universe itself. Hence I feel that for this game there shouldn't only be horror aspects to it but also a story to it.

For this idea, I was stuck between a stationary horror game like that of Five Nights at Freddies, or a walk around type of game like Silent Hill. After weighing my options, I decided to do a stationary horror game. This is due to being easier for me to code and execute without sacrificing too much. 

Haven't thought of what the horror game would be about, however should this idea be approved then I would then think more of what the game should be.

As for what I'd like to learn for making this game, perhaps on how to make the npcs move randomly whilst at the same time their movements are readable so that the player can react on time. I would also like to learn how to do cutscenes so that I can add a story element to this game.

Making a survival horror game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzwdgrxYViQ


Comments

  1. Hey Ron,

    I loved reading through the numerous game ideas that you came up with and I'm honestly surprised with the amount of ideas that you came up with and not just that, how unique they are. After reading through all of your ideas, the ww2 one caught my attention as it is something I've never heard of let alone seen before, and that's coming from a person that plays games everyday. I think this idea has a lot of potential and creativity and I would personally want to see this game take shape. One thing that I'm curious about this game idea is how would it work? Is this racing game going to be using vehicles or would the player be able to control a pigeon or something in that ball park? It would be interesting to see what you do with this game if you go with it. If you do go with the pigeon idea, would the player be racing other pigeons? That's the whole fun part of game design in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts